Back in 1992 I attended a lecture which convinced me to stop using amalgams, the mercury-silver fillings that look black in people’s mouths. Besides the obvious concern of mercury toxicity to both patients and myself, was the fact amalgams weaken the tooth and set it up for fracture. Tooth colored bondings, on the other hand, help hold the tooth together, and have the obvious esthetic advantage. While the American Dental Association maintains dental amalgams are safe, several European countries have outlawed them. It should be stressed however, there is no proof that having the amalgams removed will improve any ailments. While it is true mercury is toxic, there are no conclusive studies that link the mercury in dental amalgams to any specific diseases. That being said, we still chose to stop placing the silver-mercury fillings and offer the better alternatives instead. Our patients are happier, and so are we!